Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Trains, Planes and Automobiles...well no trains, yet.

Its my turn to say a little something, do a little bloggin'.

Our move to Spokane brought many changes, one of which was a new job for me. This is a good job with a nice future; however, this job includes no small amount of travel--somewhere between 60 to 80 nights a year away from home. Friday I will board a plane and return to my family in Otis Orchards after having spent 11 of these 60 to 80 nights in chilly rural Pennsylvania. These 11 nights were consecutive, because the boss decided that it would be best not to return home over the weekend. Eleven days is a significant chunk of a two year old's life. When it is possible, Amanda will call me just before Sam's bedtime so that I can say goodnight. On those occasions, he will say "goodnight daddy" or "I love you, daddy" with relative ease. Eleven days ago, two word phrases were quite a task for him and most of the time they were barely discernible.

Apparently children grow up fast. It seems to me that I have heard older people say something similar to this. It saddens me a bit that I have missed the past 11 days of their lives, but such is the life that we chose. All of this "missing" should make for a nice reunion though.

No comments: