Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Father's Perspective

Apparently we are going to have a second child at some point in the very near future. Amanda has been telling me this for over 9 months now. There is plenty of evidence indicating that this is the case; however, I am beginning to doubt the accuracy of my good wife's claims. Some of the evidential matter is as follows:
  • There is a brand new top-of-the-line Graco child swing blocking my access to the living room closet.
  • There have been several purchases on the debit card at stores called "Motherhood Maternity" and "Babies-R-Us".
  • A number of people have delivered non-commercial frozen dinners to us, which now occupy the space once dedicated to my microwavable corn dogs.
  • My parents are asleep in our guest bedroom.
  • Amanda has been cleaning the house constantly and reorganizing things that appeared to me to already be organized.
  • Lately, Amanda has been wearing my clothes as pajamas.
But here I sit, at 2am on August 5th with only the aforementioned evidence and no baby. Five days have passed since the promised date. This all seems vaguely familiar. If it is true, with my luck it will happen tonight - the night I stay up past 2.

The real truth is that I am beside-myself excited to add another little boy to our family. I feel like it's the Friday before the opening weekend of College Football. Along with the excitement, I'm also feeling intimidated, anxious, and a little scared. This kid better be a tough little guy, because his older brother has yet to grasp the concept of gentleness. Also, since we are planning on naming him Charles, I'm going to call him Chuck - and you must be both physically and mentally tough to grow up with the name Chuck.

The evidence continues to mount, so we hope to have good news for you soon. Wish us luck.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm anxiously awaiting the news!

An Ordinary Mom said...

LOL - what a great post!

We hope to meet him soon ...

RORYJEAN said...

Your poor wife!!! That last month is so hard- Thankfully they will be inducing her by Thursday,. right? I hope it all goes smoothly. If you need anything, let us know. I would love to have Sam come play with Apollo, some time.
Also- I LOVE the name Charles- such a great name.

cherlyn and family said...

very cool news.

Garrett Updike said...

We are way excited for you. Can't wait to hear when it happens! I am sure Sam will be happy to have a little brother.