Friday, July 25, 2008

The Light at The End of The Tunnel

I have officially one week until my due date. It's wonderful to know that there is an end in sight. Bless my doctor too, because she told me she'd only let me go a week overdue if I don't go into labor on my own. Sam was almost two weeks late. There are days when I wish the baby were here already though...sometimes I wish he would have come 2 weeks ago. By the end of a pregnancy you feel like you've been pregnant forever, and you don't remember what it was like to not be that way. I'm pretty sure most pregnant women feel this way. At least I'm not an elephant. (I'm only as big as one.) They're pregnant for 2 years. That's what I've heard anyway. I'm tired of this big belly getting in the way of everything. Plus, I don't know what my feet look like anymore. I'll have to ask Chris to give me a description.

However, right now, (and probably only in this moment) I'm glad for the time I have left until my due date. I want to enjoy my little family of three as long as I can before we become a family of four. Plus, anybody who knows me knows that I am a compulsive list maker. I have a 2-page list of everything that needs to be cleaned in the house before baby C arrives. I've got the "nesting" urge, but I don't quite seem to have the energy to get any of it done. I think it is very important that the walls get wiped down and the hall closet gets organized before I go into labor. (Just a testament of how neurotic a pregnant woman can be...but then again, maybe it's just me.)

My biggest concern though is just having two kids. Sure, it'll be fine when Chris is home because then we can each man a kid. But when I'm alone, it's two against one. I worry about things like going to the grocery store or the post office. It already takes 5 minutes just to get Sam in and out of the car to make a 30-second drop off to the dry-cleaners. Is it going to take 10 minutes now? I need the advice and wisdom of all mothers of two (or more) on how to manage these seemingly simple tasks. Any mother who can do this is Super Woman in my book. But I ask you, am I worrying for no reason? Is it going to be much easier than I'm anticipating or will it be as scary as I think? I usually run to my two best friends, Ben and Jerry...once, twice, sometimes three times a day for comfort. But it seems the comfort they give me doesn't last long and I usually end up feeling worse after consulting them.

In the end though, I'm excited to meet this little guy and can't wait to add him to the family. I'm sure the challenges and worries will be nothing compared to the joy baby C will bring to our lives.
I have to get going now...Ben and Jerry are calling.

6 comments:

KatBouska said...

I just stumbled into your blog while browsing. I LOVE baby talk. Best of luck with your new little one!!

Anonymous said...

I totally avoid 30 second errands because getting in and out of the car does take longer than the actual errand. But if it has to be done you'll find a way to do it. You'd be suprised how quickly you get into a routine with two kids. Dont worry....you are Super Mom. I can say that cuz I'm your big Sis and I've seen you in action. Sam and Charlie are blessed to have you as their mother. No one will love those two as much as you will. I cant wait to meet Charlie. I love him already. I hope he is as cute as Sam. I have pics of Sam and Carter to send to you. Talk to you soon.

Steve, Meghan, Elena, Sebastian, Ariana said...

Amanda!! Congratulations in advance for your new addition. We have to get together with you, Chris, Sam, and Charlie before basketball season starts (so I can give you back your book!).

Amanda said...

You do get into a routine with two, but I have to admit that it does take longer going on an errand. I wish I had some great advice, but I don't feel like a super mom, I just try to get through each day! The great part is that two kids will hug you and smile at you and love you.

An Ordinary Mom said...

I wish I had some wise words to spout at you, but my brain is barely functioning anymore due to sleep deprivation!

Just give yourself time to adjust to two and don't feel bad or guilty about saying no to things ... this is what I also keep telling myself as I am trying to get used to three. And don't be shy about accepting help and letting the husband do a lot as well :) !!

You WILL survive, but give yourself a good 3-6 months to find your rhythm.

I can't wait to meet your new addition. I hope the labor and delivery goes better this time around.

Nicole said...

Amanda,
Good luck this next week. I can't wait to meet the big C. You are lucky you are getting to the end. I am at the beginning again. Scottie is gonna have another sib in March, a Chinese baby. :) Anyhoo, hope all is well. Keep it up, you are Super mom.